Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Made It!

Today, I said goodbye to America.

And hello to Rome.

Landed at the airport 40 minutes ahead of schedule, and my roomates were 20 minutes behind schedule, so I had to wait an hour for them to show up, but they finally did and we started walking towards the train, when some guy named Paolo stopped us and asked us If we wanted to take a taxi for only 3 euros more a person. We were kinda scared it was a scam but went ahead and did it, and we got an air conditioned taxi ride very close to our apartment.(as far as the taxi could go,) me and the taxi driver had some good conversations in Italian, even though I didnt understand half of it. He gave me some good advice about how to get out to the sea to go swimming, told me about the traffic in rome, some general chit chat.

So we got to our apartment and called the people and they showed up in 25 minutes with our keys and let us in, its a bit small, but bigger than I expected so thats good. After they gave us the rundown we sat down and rested a bit. Theres no air conditioning so its kinda hot, but its not too bad.

Then the electricity shut off. We were very confused as to why(didn't plug anything in.) We finally found the main breaker switch and flipped it back on, but it kept going on and off, so we just left to go find an atm and some food. Walked across the river and found Palazzo Farnese, a famous edifice designed by Michelangelo. Got some euros and got some pizza. It was pretty delicious.

Then we went grocery shopping. Wine, cheese, and bread are extremely cheap here. I got 2 bottles of wine, a big breadstick, big hunk of parmesean, some dish washing detergent, two peaches, all for 10 euros. The wines made locally in Umbria, and its very delicious. and toxic (12%!)

Theres still more we need to do to get settled in, but at least were here, and surviving.

My room, (roomate arrives sunday)

View from my room




View of interior courtyard.


Delicious Wine, Bread, and Cheese.

5 comments:

  1. Is your electric pay as you go?
    Ours we have to go to the corner store, buy a code, and put the code into our meter. We get 50 pounds at a time (the most you can get), lasts about 6 weeks.

    Yougurt is also really cheap, we get a 4 pack with one each of peach, strawberry, rasberry, and black cherry for 20 pence total.

    Glad you made it ok!

    ReplyDelete
  2. everythings paid for, so we're using fans like its going out of style.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pictures and the detailed text. Keep it up. Find some good red wine for when I come over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, I love the photo of the clouds! So glad you made it safe and sound. Did you marry an Italian mamacita yet? Do you have an address we can send mail to? I have 250 recorders I'm going to ship you...! ha

    ReplyDelete